Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Another Day In Pump Paradise or The Pump Went South!

Today has been unusual in nature. I got up early to drive out to the mechanic and get that hood release latch replacement on my Nissan Sentra (a 1996 model built in Smyrna, TN). I spent 3 hours there and he got it repaired. The grille and bumper cover had to be removed to gain access to the hood. I got my hair cut and ran some errands and shopped for some groceries. I had several instances of hypoglycemic episodes with no sensation of lows. I am dealing with autonomic neuropathy and the spina bifida and cerebral palsy with it. Not fun.

I put the pump in temp basal mode and only saw half the screen. I couldn't cancel the temp basal on top of that. Another call to Animas and letting the support nurse know about my issues with the screen and being unable to cancel the temporary basal. She is sending me a replacement pump tomorrow. I am on injections until then. This is my 11th IR 1250 in 14 months of pumping. Another day in paradise. I have lots of experiences with my backup regime of injections. I like my Animas pump even with the issues I have had. The technical support and the trainers have been superb too. I would have had trouble with other makes of pump as much or even more in my opinion. I am getting ready to drive to Lenoir City and pick up mom. A day on the go and in the life of a fool.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Ken,
So nice to meet you! Sounds like you have an amazing family! I started my blog entirely as a means to communicate my diabetes fumbles. I’ve had a few of them. And then, over time (if you look at my archives you’ll see) my family has received some humbling diagnoses. My son was diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder in September of last year. Over the past year, he has grown so much, and I have a few moments now and again to breathe. I never realized that parenting with the help my family needed would make as much of a difference as it has. Closely following my son’s autism diagnosis my daughter was diagnosed with diabetes. Then this past September Miss Gracie was diagnosed with cerebral palsy, which was really just putting a name to the significant motor delays she has had since birth.
I of course, also have diabetes, and it seems like I always have (I was diagnosed at 13). As one diagnosis piled upon on another, it became clear to me that I cannot advocate only for children and adults with diabetes. I cannot advocate only for people with autism. I cannot advocate only for children and adults with cerebral palsy. I need to advocate for all individuals with disabilities, as that is what will cause real systemic. Disability is my arena. And because of my choice (it really didn’t feel like a choice though) to be in this arena I have had the opportunity to meet some amazing adults with disabilities that have helped to fashion the dreams that I have for my children.
What are these dreams? That my children have the accommodations they need to realize their own dreams. Because that is all anyone really wants right? To have the same opportunities that everyone else does?
I look forward to reading more about you and your family!
Sarah
(sorry to write a letter in your comments, but you didn't have an email link!)

Lili said...

Hi! I am also a disabled Type 1 diabetic with other chronic conditions. Can't drive, use a cane, can't do stairs or strenuous exercise, limited range of motion. (I don't have one easy diagnosis). It's definitely been interesting for me, being disabled before being a Type 1; people tend to assume the opposite. Anyway, stop by my blog if you want.