Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Major upgrades!

Yesterday, I received my replacement pump from Animas. I changed to a Silver colored pump from a blue pump. Working fine at the moment. Had fine blood sugars except for a drop suddenly to 46! I had to get out the glucagon and prepare and inject it. Got my blood sugar up to 123. Had a rash which started spreading. Breathing got a little tight. Out came the Epipen! After 2 doses, I started improving and returned to my day. Turned out my basal rate was on my high setting.

I have decided to change blog styles since I felt the current style looked cleaner. I am doing OK outside of stiff hamstrings and hip muscles. Spasticity and aging disabled body rear their ugly head. Did do some stretching. Am getting very hard on shoes due to gait being an issue. I will have to change approaches to spasticity control. This is also having bearings on my basal insulin needs and even insulin/carbohydrate ratios. So, some basal tests and a meet with my diabetes team is in order. I have been listening to a great deal of jazz lately. Especially the work of John Coltrane. A Love Supreme has gotten me through much meditation and stretching. I do some Yoga but couldn't get within 50 miles of the Lotus Position. The good news is I am still upright. Does make dressing and transfers a bear. Gotta leave for now and see my internist at clinic and my PT for advice. Also, I play caregiver to my 86 year old grandmother who has a lot of issues and my lady friend and her toddler, Erik!

2 comments:

Paige said...

I hope that the silver pump turns out to be trusty!

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving the comment about toddlerhood. It was exactly what I needed to hear.

Coltrane and yoga...sounds pretty heavenly.

KentT said...

Hi Paige,

Glad you stopped by! So far, the silver pump is working fine. For some reason, I love Yoga exercises with jazz vinyl playing in the background. Erik and Ingrid are doing fine. I'm trying to get rid of an ear infection and dealing with heel spurs and breaking in newish shoes. I had clubfeet when I was a kid. As well as the left leg an inch short. Not good for that hip. I am having to get new inserts as well as custom shoes.